Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Neighborhood: Floresville

My neighborhood is in a small town about thirty miles south of San Antonio down Highway 181. Floresville is home to a little over five thousand people, it is mostly country side, but my family and I live in the town of Floresville on A Street right off of Highway 181. I am about a mile from downtown Floresville where the old courthouse still stands. In the courthouse square there is an old jailhouse which is now a museum for tourist who come to visit. In town there is the town square and a American Legion Hall, which is used by the people for parties and other celebrations, but it is mainly used by the veterans for their meetings. Although the old jailhouse is not used anymore due to the lack of cells inside it still stands there in front of this jail house is a buried time capsule, that is supposed to be dug up in the year 2020, it was buried there in the early 1950’s don’t know an exact date.
Floresville is famous for the Peanut Festival, which is a fair on the second weekend of October, so it was just recently, people come from all over to see the parade on Saturday, after the parade they go to the carnival and eat the food from the food booths. The parade has gotten bigger and bigger since I moved down here from San Antonio. When I was a senior I was involved in the Peanut Festival, to be involved your parents have to be involved with the school, and you have to maintain a B average in all your classes, it is fun though because you get to miss a lot of school due to the other parades you travel to. This year the Peanut Festival made more money then it has ever made, due to the dances being free, everybody came down and went to the dances and spent more money on the food, and carnival rides for the kids.
My neighborhood is in the heart of downtown Floresville, we own a corner house at the end of the block and my house is located right across the street from a daycare center, and one house we have a young husband and wife that live there, the other two houses at three houses at the end of the block belong to my aunt and my cousin, she is renting one of the houses out to another young couple. Across the street from us my great aunt owns the brightest house on the street. That is pretty much it with my neighborhood.
Another big thing in Floresville is high school football, during football season every Friday night there is at least three thousand people at the football game watching, a lot of the little shops here in Floresville shut down at about seven o’clock to go and watch the Tigers play this is what I liked when I played football even though we weren’t the best football team people still cam and watched us play. Now since they are undefeated there seems to be a lot more people at the games watching them play. This is pretty much how it is here in Floresville, not much happens here except for around this time with the Peanut Festival happening.
Word Count:561

No comments: