Monday, November 19, 2007

My Art Choices


The title of the first piece of art work that I found at and he San Antonio Museum of Art, is called “Passing Storm over the Sierra Nevada’s.” It was painted in 1870 by Albert Bierstadt who was born in 1830 and passed away in 1902. This particular painting was oil based colors painted on canvas. What I found most striking in this painting was the colors he used, and also the texture of the painting, for example the shadow of the trees on the water. My overall impression of this work is, the peacefulness in the painting it looks very still almost like there is no wind blowing, it is just a very calm looking calm. I just like the paintings color and how he painted the trees and the clouds, he made it look very realistic. The advantage of seeing the painting in person is that, in person you could see the texture and colors better then you could over the internet. The disadvantage of going to the actual Museum is the drive from Floresville to San Antonio. It was also hard to find this Museum, I am not very good at driving here in San Antonio.
The title of my second painting interested me is “Double Scramble.” It was painted in 1968, by Frank Stella, who was born in 1936. It is fluorescent alkyd painted on canvas. What struck me on this painting was the bright colors used, he used a bright yellow green, and blue. In this painting he used a good amount of color, and he also used symmetry, and lines, another element used I shape and form. My overall impression of this piece of art work was whoa it looks very bright, it looks very intense with the bright colors, and the way Ilooks almost like a maze of different bright colors. I just had these impressions because it caught my eye very quick like, as I was walking through the museum. Another word that suits my impression of this is ooh, that is bright, too bright for my taste. In this case the advantage of walking through the museum and studying this painting was seeing the bright colors in person, are way better then looking at the over the internet. But one disadvantage again was the travel up to the museum from Floresville, but it was still worth the drive to study this piece of art. This is what I saw in these two pieces of art work.

No comments: